Wednesday, January 31, 2007

HAROLD'S MINI REVIEW #2: "STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIP" or... "The BEST Wing".



This is a show, people. Quite frankly, it's got it all and then some. Drama, laughs, dramatic laughs, funny drama. It's a work of genius. A genius named Aaron Sorkin. Now he's taken a lot of guff from some other so-called comedy writers for his take on the profession in the show within the show. Well that's just bull! Based on my experience, this show is right on the money. Not all comedy writers are sloppy thieving hacks -- but MOST of 'em are. Sorkin is just telling it like it is. I've worked with hundreds of writers over my years in this business, and, yes, they are prone to slobbering over Chinese food like a bunch of pinhead morons. And, yes, they all steal jokes, stories, and entire scripts ALL THE TIME. Don't believe me? Examine the evidence: THE FLINTSONES. Merely a rip-off of The Honeymooners. THE JETSONS. A rip-off of The Flinstones. THE OFFICE? Merely a rip-off of COLUCCI'S DEPARTMENT (look that up on your You Tube if you don't believe me. What's that? It's not on You Tube? How convenient.)

Studio 60 tells it like it is, or at least how I remember it was, since nobody in the business seems fit to return my calls or read my material these days. Except.... Aaron Sorkin. HIs dad was in the Marines with me so he's put in a good word for old Hec.



To wit, Aaron is now reading yours truly's spec "Lou Grant"... the granddaddy of the whole dramedy genre. My fingers are crossed (but not for much longer once my arthritis prescription runs out) and I hope to be back in the game soon.

HAROLD'S VERDICT: ZERO CLAMS OUT OF FIVE CLAMS. To quote the kids.... this show is da bomb's pajamas!
Studio 60 is genius and I can't wait to put words in that brilliant mouth of Mr. Bradley Whitford. Well, I'm off to lunch at Nate N' Al's with my old buddies from the "Chico" days. And this time I'M buying!

4 comments:

Joependleton said...

Sorry, HH, but I can't take anything Matthew Perry does seriously, except, of course, his "Whole Nine Yards" movie franchise.

I actually watched that show last week and at the end, some couple got locked on the roof of their building. Boy, that's original.

Harold Hecuba said...

I stand by my review, smart guy. Matthew Perry is a genius! Capital G! And that locked on the roof story? Pure magic. Sure it's been done before, but Stan Sorkin's boy Aaron makes it sing! Sing like an Emmy-winning canary. And it's a two parter, so how do you know Aaron hasn't got some brilliantly new ending to this story line like... I don't know, and here's the bad pitch -- it starts to rain and they huddle together finding love? You watch and learn young man. (I'm assuming you're young... or at least younger than me, because who isn't these days?

Joependleton said...

Actually, I was hoping Matthew Perry would come up on the roof and him and Whitford would get close the edge and Peet would push both of them over.

Harold Hecuba said...

Very funny, smart guy. You'll be chuckling out of the other side of your mouth a hundred years from now when "Studio 60" is remembered as the greatest dramedy of all time!